Bettah Bettas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bettah Bettas

A place to learn about bettas and share your finned friends.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's your favorite substrate?

Go down 
+6
cajunamy
pewpewpew
youlovegnats
TheCrysCat
kathstew
1fish2fish
10 posters
AuthorMessage
1fish2fish
Administrator
1fish2fish

What's your favorite substrate? Empty
PostSubject: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Do you like gravel? Commercialized substrates? Sand? Bare Bottom?

For my non-planted tanks I either want bare bottom (non-cycled tanks) or regular neutral colored gravel (cycled tanks). For planted tanks I LOVE eco-complete.. but it's SOO expensive. Mad
Back to top Go down
https://bettahbettas.forumotion.com
kathstew

kathstew

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:01 pm

I really want to try sand, but haven't gotten around to buying it yet. XD
I don't want to go through all the hassle of rinsing it out all crazy like.

When I first started I used all those neon gravel colors, but now I prefer natural colored gravel. Wink
Back to top Go down
TheCrysCat

TheCrysCat

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:55 pm

I love the black gravel with flecks of neon that Petsmart's brand has... Petco has something similar, but I've found that this fades a lot less. I've had it with Alistair for six months and it's still a SUPER dark black.
Back to top Go down
1fish2fish
Administrator
1fish2fish

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 12:01 am

I love black gravel too.. either black or tan. Sexxy Beast has a mix of tan, white, and black that looks ok.
Back to top Go down
https://bettahbettas.forumotion.com
youlovegnats
youlovegnats

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 am

I've got black sand in my sorority. It looks nice when it's clean. xD
Back to top Go down
http://www.blogger.com/profile/14701022133199275452
pewpewpew
pewpewpew

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 am

I use eco-complete; I don't like inert substrates! They dont grow my plants well Sad

It's actually not too bad if planted tanks are what you have- it's around $20 at petco in black and cost only $6!!! to ship! Most places like amazon will charge you over $20 since its 20lbs of gravel.

I also like both black and natural colored gravel (inert) :B
Back to top Go down
http://www.bettasplendid.weebly.com
cajunamy
cajunamy

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 2:15 am

I love the look of my sandy tanks - only have 2. I bought the orange and blue sands from PetCo, for two different tanks. I had trouble cleaning it without sucking up all the sand before I got my Python knock-off though.

I've always used gravel... it was just readily available and ... what was used. I'm really digging bare-bottomed though. I prefer the look of a tank with substrate, but bare-bottom is easier.
Back to top Go down
http://cajunbettafish.wordpress.com
nochoramet

nochoramet

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 2:52 am

I love the look of natural gravel (which is what I've had) and sand (always wanted to try!) but since I never cycled my tanks, I changed to bare bottom and I'm really starting to like the way it looks. Much easier to clean as well. I have all my gravel waiting for me to be able to use it later.
Back to top Go down
Bahamut285
Bahamut285

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 4:49 pm

I've had:
- Barebottom: I put a piece of paper with some river rocks printed on it under the tank, it looks nice XD. Very easy to clean
- Neon/weird coloured gravel: Not really my thing, I think they look better in smaller tanks than big ones.
- Black gravel: I did this with one of my tanks, It looks VERY nice and makes your fishes' colour stand out but unfortunately the optical effects of black make everything look smaller
- White gravel: I love white gravel, it also makes your fish stand out and it has the optical effect of making your tank look bigger, but it gets dirty really easily, I find
- Tan/natural gravel: LOVE IT. Although it makes the bottom look "busy"
- Mixing various colours of gravel: I have white/tan and white/black right now. The white/tan makes it look very big and natural, I really like it!. The white/black looks very contemporary and makes everything in your tank stand out. It's hard to achieve a sense of depth with it though because of the high contrast.
- Thin vs. Thick amounts of gravel: Thin gravel is easy to keep and look clean...especially if the bottom of your tank has an opaque rim to hide all the stuff that falls down the sides, but it looks like it's kind of "just there". Thick gravel looks really nice if you create some depth with different levels of gravel by sloping it around, however if poop falls down the side it's really obvious to see XD

I REALLY WANT TO TRY A THICK LAYER OF SAND <3

I also need to get a proper gravel vac :C
Back to top Go down
vaygirl
Administrator
vaygirl

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Eco complete or something similar so my plant roots can grow. I always use black. I just like how it looks. But they do come in clay and natural coloring.
Back to top Go down
Sweeda88
Sweeda88

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:00 pm

I like bare bottom for unfiltered tanks and gravel for filtered ones. I have never tried sand or anything else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite substrate?   What's your favorite substrate? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite substrate?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bettah Bettas :: Betta Care :: Tank Care-
Jump to: